Culminating Experience

This is a chronicling of my internship project in Takaungu, Kenya, during the summer of 2006. The goal of the project is to install a drip irrigation system for a community plot and to examine the relationship between irrigation and economic empowerment (especially for women and girls). The goal of the blog is to assure my family that I'm alive and to convey pictures, anecdotes, and insights on my experience here.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006



August 30: Don’t look too intently for a purpose to this entry. I don’t think there is one, other than to let you know the wheels are still turning over here (the ones in my brain, that is.) I got the replacement parts for the irrigation system and will now be using ¾” flex hose, instead of ½”, which fits very nicely into the ½” PVC header I just finished constructing this afternoon. The design difficulties I’m having at this point, though not overwhelming in any real sense, would be too cumbersome, not to mention patently boring, to put down in text. So let’s just say I need to figure out how to make two PVC sections, six feet apiece, fit in a straight line while radiating from a circular tank. A classic case of circles not fitting in squares. But I have some ideas – one of them quite clever, I think. Like other issues, I saw this one coming, but was again hoping to avoid it by denial.

I suppose I could take this opportunity to glorify the EAC, its philosophy on development, and the stellar volunteers, interns, and staff it attracts. I’ve posted a picture of me and a few of these EAC shining stars, who I have had a wonderful time getting to know. (I’ve also posted a second picture to counterbalance the disturbing trend I’ve noticed in all pictures taken of myself during this trip. It seems I look heinous. I don’t know if that’s due to the hot weather, the starcy bland diet, or the Puritanesque garb and accompanying hairdo that are my habit here, but I’m rather weary of seeing myself and think the wedding getup looks much nicer.)

But I digress. The EAC is a bastion of right and forward-thinking development policy (in my opinion, I guess I should say). They are ultra-grassroots, and receive almost all their funding from individual donors. This is a strategic position for them, because it means they can better control their programming (and be more creative). And believe me, the people here, the ones who live here, work here, have children here, make their livings here, and suffer the diseases, myths, injustices, and realities of being here know far far better what works here than the large government agencies or foreign grantmakers that have very little notion of such things. (I should point out that these are the same agencies that I hope and pray will give me a job in about a year.) The theory of what works is often so far removed from the reality. My experience here has been constant testimony to this. You have to be here to believe it. More importantly, you have to live here to understand it. In its day-to-day operations, the EAC is almost entirely run by incredibly committed and competent local professionals, which sets it apart from most other development organizations that primarily employ foreigners with foreign ideas.

The downside of receiving most of your funding from individual donors is that you don’t get very much funding. (The staff here – including the two American staff – make around $300 a month.) But by being cheap and creative, they are able to stretch a dollar pretty far. One thing I really appreciate about the EAC is their emphasis on empowerment, as opposed to charity. (Not that there’s anything wrong with charity.) The local people that benefit from EAC’s resources see the organization as a place where they can come and learn and get ideas and find ways to solve their problems. Just as it is for me, learning is exciting for people here. It seems unjust to deny the satisfaction of learning to anyone in a position to help themselves by giving them a handout. (I have to insert here that not everyone is in a position to help themselves, which is when handouts are fully warranted, if not required.) So anyway, this is my ode to the EAC. See you next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home