Culminating Experience

This is a chronicling of my internship project in Takaungu, Kenya, during the summer of 2006. The goal of the project is to install a drip irrigation system for a community plot and to examine the relationship between irrigation and economic empowerment (especially for women and girls). The goal of the blog is to assure my family that I'm alive and to convey pictures, anecdotes, and insights on my experience here.

Monday, July 24, 2006

July 24: Getting Ready to Culminate



I'm here now! It's just wonderful. No problems yet. No funny stories or clever insights either. Those will come, of course. No doubt, I will be a vast reservoir of fascinating information and solid perspectives very shortly. We are about to leave Mombasa, which is where I stayed the first night after I arrived at the airport. I am staying at the cute apartment of the Director of the East African Center (the non-governmental organization I'm working for) and her husband. They are newly weds, and it has been interesting to see how young couples live in Kenya - rather like they do in Seattle, I suppose. Although, interestingly, they have a much larger apartment than Marco and me. They have three bedrooms, instead of the highly efficient bedroom-closet that I like to sleep in.

We are leaving for Takaungu (about an hour away) in a few minutes, which is when my culmination will start. More later...

P.S. Marco, who is a genius, I should point out, added a Takaungu clock to my blog. Take a look. Now you can see what time it is here, without having to count backwards on your fingers eight or ten hours, as the case may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home