Culminating Experience

This is a chronicling of my internship project in Takaungu, Kenya, during the summer of 2006. The goal of the project is to install a drip irrigation system for a community plot and to examine the relationship between irrigation and economic empowerment (especially for women and girls). The goal of the blog is to assure my family that I'm alive and to convey pictures, anecdotes, and insights on my experience here.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

First Post: What is a Blog?

Hello!! I'm still alive. Actually, I'm not in any real jeopardy yet. For the moment, I'm just sitting in the Newark airport, drinking Starbucks (I don't trust the East Coast off-mainstream coffee.)

I thought long and hard about what to call this blog, and decided on "Culminating Experience" because everything else sounded even dumber, and because honestly, this is a culminating experience for me. But before I go into anymore details on how this experience is culminating in its essense, let me explain what a blog is: (n.) Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

That's the extent of my knowledge. I know that blogs are sweeping the nation, defining policy, and making people famous. I don't really expect that much from my blog. I just want my loved ones to know that I'm okay, and I want a forum to think about what I'm doing here and whether I'm helping or just confusing the issues.

I'm about to run out of battery power, and I packed my charger in my checked bag. So I'll have to get back to you on the culminating experience thing. It's hard to explain. I love you all and appreciate your support more than you can imagine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home